The care of your new tattoo is important as this will determine its appearance in the future.
• Always wash your hands well with soap before touching your new tattoo.
• Leave the applied clingfilm dressing on for 3-4 hours. If a Dry Loc pad has been applied please remove it the following morning.
• After the dressing is removed, wash your tattoo with warm water and a mild, fragrance-free soap. Remove all blood, and lymph with your fingertips gently. Excess lymph will cause scabbing, and you want to minimize this as much as possible.
• Do not use anything abrasive to clean the area, towels and washcloths harbour bacteria that can harm your tattoo.
• Rinse and pat dry with a clean disposable paper towel.
• You may be advised to re-wrap your tattoo for the first 1-3 days. It is very important to change this every 8 hours, washing and drying your tattoo again before re-wrapping it with fresh clingfilm (do not apply cream under clingfilm). After this remove the dressing and continue with the aftercare below.
• Wash your tattoo two to three times a day, for the next two weeks, or until the tattoo is completely healed.
• Do not over-wash, regular showering is fine, but do not keep it submerged in water for extended periods until it has healed – this includes baths and swimming.
• While your tattoo is healing it will become flaky, dry and itchy. Use a fragrance-free, non-greasy cream such as El Gato Negro Tattoo Healing Balm or E45 Cream 2-3 times a day. Do not use Vaseline or Savlon.
• Sparingly rub the lotion in until it is fully absorbed into your skin, do not over- moisturize.
• Do not pick or scratch the area as this will damage your tattoo and can cause infection, leave the scabs and let them fall out naturally.
• Do not use saunas or sunbeds whilst your tattoo is healing and avoid the gym/sports for the first 5-7 days.
• Wear loose cotton clothing over the area until healed.
• If your healed tattoo should require any touch ups this is free of charge providing the aftercare has been followed and it is within 3 months of your appointment.